The first and hardest steps of pre-departure preparation have been 1) purging our home, 2) listing our many responsibilities and accounts to settle up, and 3) preparing our hearts to say “so-long” to many dear friends whom we will miss sorely. The busy-ness of logistics planning helps to keep the sadness of goodbyes at bay, though we have all had moments of melancholy.
Our past weeks have focused on:
- Schooling options for the kids – online high schools and home school curriculum
- Finding the right language school and volunteer opportunities for our first month in Ecuador
- Getting our house ready to rent out
- Completing work commitments
- Hiring a student intern for Carrie’s business
- Switching healthcare insurance, car insurance, and visa cards
- Getting new passports for the kids
- Updating our computer and camera equipment for maximum mobility
- Researching Ecuador and Peru – making contact with friends of friends
The work continues on all of those fronts. We will buy airline tickets soon for a mid-March departure.